Senior students

@ St Elizabeth's Primary School

Challenge 1 – Getting Started

March7

To help develop all of our blogging skills we have signed up to be a part of the Student Blogging Challenge that began at the start of March.  Each week there will be a new challenge with choices available to us.

Challenge 1 is focused on the question “Who Am I?”

Some of our tasks are:

• develop our “About Us” page.  I wonder how we could improve the basic information I have started with?  What photos could we include?
  • complete our individual Profile pages.  Most of the students in 4SGK should have this completed if they were able to access their email and Global 2 accounts last Friday.  Students from 4GPS in 2012 should also be familiar with this, or you can click on the Challenge 1 link and there is a great picture and instructions to help you.
  • create avatars to upload to your profile.  Again there are some ideas on the Challenge 1 link to help you.  The avatar is going to be a digital representation of yourself.  Remember to think about what your created avatar says about you in a global environment!

Buddy Classes

We have been assigned 2 class blogs that we are asked to visit regularly and comment on.  These classes are:

Phenomenal 15  This blog belongs to a class from a small country school in NSW, Australia.

Mrs Vilas’s Fabulous Fourth Grade Writers  This blog belongs to a fourth grade class in New Jersey, USA.  If you look at our ClustrMap, it looks like this class might have tried to visit us already!  The red dot on the right hand side of the USA is close to where New Jersey is.

Of course there are many other classes participating in this challenge and you are welcome to visit their blogs and leave comments.  You can find some of these in our blogroll in the side bar or by clicking here.  Remember when you are writing comments that you follow our guidelines.

If you would like to put a link in your comment you need to know the following html code, without the spaces between the < and a: < a href=”the http website address “>text you would like to display when you put the link in< /a>

When you visited other class blogs, what did you like about it?

What caught your eye?

Did you find any interesting posts?

“Challenge 1 – Getting Started”

1. March 8th, 2013 at 8:25 am      Reply Mrs Maria Popowycz Says:

Hello everyone,

Looking foward to an exciting year of blogging. I can’t wait to find out about what students are doing with their blogs around the world.

Hope to see lots of posts from you all soon.

What do you hope to see in our blog?

Mrs Popowycz

2. March 8th, 2013 at 8:27 am      Reply jkovacich Says:

Hello Grade 5/6

I have had lots of fun exploring different class blogs from all around the world. Have you gathered any ideas for our blog from the class blogs that you have seen today?

I look forward to blogging with you this year.

Miss Kovacich

3. March 14th, 2013 at 6:13 pm      Reply Marie Says:

Hello Everyone,

I thought that lots of the other class blogs had interesting posts and I really liked how Phenomenal 15 had the date with 4 people as a feature. I found on post interesting that 2 people from Phenomenal 5 had to bring pancakes for Shrove Tuesday!

From Marie

4. March 15th, 2013 at 11:45 am      Reply Joshua6 Says:

Hello 56 steps,
    I have seen on phenomenal 15 that they had pancakes, and I hope maybe if we had photos we could show it on our blog that we had pancakes to?
    From Joshua

• March 15th, 2013 at 6:37 pm      Reply Marie Says:

Dear Joshua6 and Everyone,

I think that the idea is great Joshua6. I think that we should take photos of special events and put them on the blog.

From Marie

5. March 15th, 2013 at 11:57 am      Reply Shannan Says:

Hi everyone,
    I noticed on mrs. Villa’s fabulous fourth grade writers they get tasks to write about on their blog. They have a ‘visitors flag’ so that they can see the countries that they come from.
    From shannan

6. March 15th, 2013 at 12:32 pm      Reply Mary6 Says:

Hey guys,

I was looking on Phenomenal 15’s blog and they have been doing the 100 word challenge. I find the stories are very creative, interesting and so fun to read!
    From, Mary

7. March 15th, 2013 at 12:45 pm      Reply Mary6 Says:

Hey Everyone,

On Mrs Vilas’s Fourth Grade Writers they have put up lots of things about the challenges. I also looked at their ‘What can I write about in a blog?’ which had topics of what to start writing in a blog.

From, Mary.

• March 25th, 2013 at 3:17 pm      Reply Gizelle Says:

Dear Everyone,
      i agree with Mary6. Mrs. Vilas has a very cool blog. I watched some videos and read some stories they put up. their blog is really cooland has some awsome facilities.
      from Gizelle

8. March 18th, 2013 at 5:12 pm      Reply Michelle Says:

Hello students,
    Himeth visited our class blog and left a comment. Thanks Himeth!
    We are also Years 5/6 students and we have 55 students in our department, in 3 classes. Sometimes we work together and swap classes for different reasons. Our school is in a country town with a population of 3500 people. We hope you enjoy the Blogging Challenge.
    Happy blogging!
    Ms Norton
    http://mnorton.global2.vic.edu.au/

9. March 26th, 2013 at 10:35 pm      Reply Mrs. Vilas Says:

Hello everyone,

I want my 4th grade students to comment on your blog posts. Do students have their own student blogs or is it a class blog in which students will post on one class blog?

We are currently learning about which images we should and should not post on student blogs. It is a bit confusing to my students. I want my students to create a slideshow showing 10 reptiles or 10 amphibians since we reviewed those animals when reading Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Slippery Salamander.

Last week I taught my students to “honor your writing like it is gold” and not a curmudgeon! You can read about that here: http://mrsvilas.weebly.com/1/post/2013/03/do-not-be-a-curmudgeon.html

I look forward to reading your interesting posts!

Mrs. Vilas
    New Jersey, USA
    http://mrsvilas.weebly.com
    http://kidblog.org/MrsVilas/

• April 13th, 2013 at 6:55 pm      Reply Mrs Rebecca Gage Says:

Hi Mrs Vilas,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your comment. We are currently on holidays but return to school on Monday.

Our students do not have their own blogs yet. Maybe in a few months time we will have some students able to take this step. I’m sure that students will be able to contribute posts to this blog in the coming weeks as their skills develop. This blog is for all 101 students in grades 5 and 6 at our school.

Learning about copyright is very challenging. Knowing which images are OK to use and how to give proper attribution might quite a bit of time to understand but it is very important.

I look forward to viewing some of your student blogs to see what great posts they have develop.

Regards,

Mrs Gage

10. April 18th, 2013 at 10:29 am      Reply Joanne Says:

Dear everyone
    Yesterday I went to the life ed van.
    The life ed van is a van which you are inside for about 2hours . Inside you learn about different things that help you in life plus their is a giraffe named Harold and he is pretty funny which I like about him.
    From Joanne

11. April 18th, 2013 at 10:50 am      Reply jackcl Says:

Hi everyone

my name is Jack,the life Ed van is a van that comes to teach us about healthy eating and smart choices. There is a giraffe called Harold who loves banana sandwiches and basketball and there is the teacher she teachers us things like Harold,Harold is funny. I learnt that smoking kills the most amount of people in the world! Did you know that?