Senior students

@ St Elizabeth's Primary School

States Of Matter

May14

Hello Everyone,

Level 4’s have been learning about States Of Matter.

WHAT IS MATTER???

Matter is everything around you, it was pretty much whatever takes up space!! Even though matter can be found all over the world (UNIVERSE) you can only find it in a few forms. There are 3 main forms which are Solids, Liquids and Gases.

Solids=Solids have their own shapes and properties. Solids can be only found hard, solids can be wood, plastic or metal.

Liquids= Liquids can be found wet sticky and slippery. Liquids don’t have a shape unless they are put in a cup or containers.

Gases=Gases can be invisible and smell. Some gases are the sun, air and breath, all of these gases are invisible.

What have you learnt in States of Matter?

What is something you know about the 3 main forms?

What are the other forms of matter?

NAME 3 SOLIDS AND LIQUIDS 

From Marie                                     

by posted under Science | 24 Comments »    

“States Of Matter”

1. May 14th, 2013 at 1:01 pm      Reply ethado Says:

Hi Marie,

I learnt that when a solid turns into a liquid, the particles start moving and then they go faster and faster and then slow down then the temperature decreases and then it is a liquid.

From: Ethan 4MP

2. May 14th, 2013 at 1:09 pm      Reply Molly Says:

Dear everyone
    I have learnt more about solids and liquids and gases
    I know that solides ,liquid and gases have these things called atoms. Solid atoms are very close to together and do not change shape. Liquids atoms are similar to solid ,they stick together but they move around . Gases are very different to solid and liquids because gases atoms are far apart and they spread out.
    From Molly

• May 15th, 2013 at 5:23 pm      Reply Marie Says:

Dear Molly,

It is great that you have learnt alot and it is great that you talked about atoms which I didn’t think about writing it in the post!!!

From Marie

3. May 14th, 2013 at 1:16 pm      Reply Tanaiya Says:

Dear Bloggers

Solids can be chair, tables, white boards that’s some of the things that are solids

From Tanaiya

4. May 14th, 2013 at 1:18 pm      Reply Sachini Says:

Hi Mary,

You have learnt a lot about matter.I learnt that to make a solid into liquid you have to add heat.To make liquid into a solid you shouldn’t add heat. Also there is things called atoms when you talking about solid liquid and gases

From Sachini

5. May 14th, 2013 at 2:54 pm      Reply David Says:

Hello level 4,

I think that quad blogging is a great idea because we get to blog to each other and people from other states or countries, and that we can communicate with out seeing each other.

6. May 14th, 2013 at 4:14 pm      Reply kriswi Says:

Hi Everyone,

I know about solids, liquids and gases but I never really looked into their definition. Over the past few sessions I learnt so much more, for example, I learnt what properties were and about what happen to the particles if they ever changed form (e.g. solid to a liquid). The really great things about these sessions are; we get to work in groups so we can help each other out, we also get to use our iPads as a learning tool and finally, we are all learning new things and enjoying the sessions.

Kristen

7. May 15th, 2013 at 7:53 pm      Reply Kelly Says:

Hello everyone

I have learnt that there is three states of matter. Solid,liquid and gas. I learnt that in a solid the atoms are packed closely together. The liquid’s atoms slide around. The gas’s atoms are spread out and move freely

From Kelly

8. May 16th, 2013 at 10:46 am      Reply himema Says:

Hello everyone,
    I learnt that matter can be alive or not alive. I also found out that solids are anything that has a shape, and the sun is made from gases! It’s amazing what you could learn from science.

Himeth

• June 12th, 2013 at 7:56 pm      Reply Hiep Says:

Dear Himeth,

Yes Himeth, it is amazing what you can learn from science. Matter can be alive or not, solids do have their own shape and the sun is probably made from gases.

Hiep

9. May 17th, 2013 at 12:59 pm      Reply Aneka Says:

Dear everyone,
    I have learnt about atoms solid liquids and gases and it is really FUN!!!
    From Aneka

10. May 17th, 2013 at 1:24 pm      Reply Mikkel Says:

Hi everyone,
    I can’t wait to continue this amazing project. States of matter is really. I hope that we get another great topic like this. This topic is fun but you still learn a lot from it.
    From mikkel.

11. May 17th, 2013 at 1:26 pm      Reply Jack2 Says:

Dear readers,

For the past few weeks we’ve been learning about matter, there are too many things made of matter so they split them into three groups solids, liquids and gases. Solids have there own shape, liquids take the shape of there container and can be sticky slimy and wet, gases can be invisible and can have smells. That’s what I have learnt about matter

From Jack2

12. May 18th, 2013 at 8:02 pm      Reply Mary6 Says:

Hey everyone,

Learning about states of matter has been fun, and I enjoy learning about it.

Solids –
    1. Rock
    2. Wood
    3. Icy pole or Ice cream ( before getting melted )

Liquids –
    1. Water
    2. Honey
    3. Orange juice

I leant more about state changes too.

Mary.

13. May 21st, 2013 at 1:19 pm      Reply Bianca Says:

Hello everyone,

Learning about states of matter has been really fun.
    I’ve learnt lots along the way. Matter is anything that takes space. There are categories that can be placed into states of matter. Such as solids, liquids and gases. We also learnt about atoms and how they change from one to another.

I hope everyone enjoyed learning about states of matter.

From Bianca

14. May 21st, 2013 at 1:23 pm      Reply shanhi Says:

Dear Everyone,

I learnt that matter are properties that take up space. Some categories that are matter are solids , liquids and gases.

I also learnt that about how atoms change, for example when you add heat, the particles move further apart and move slower.

15. May 24th, 2013 at 12:42 pm      Reply Andrew3 Says:

Dear Teachers
    Solids are when they have a shape and they can’t break like a brick its hard non breakabale on the other hand ice can be melted into liquids like water.

Liquids- liquids can spread around the place like a table when you spill water it’s spreads around the table liquids can change to solids like water when you freeze water it will turn into ice.

Gases – gases, like air, you can’t see them and they smell as well. They can sometimes make you cold like wind and they can blow clothes off you like a hat get’s blown away.

From Andrew3

16. May 27th, 2013 at 10:30 am      Reply Jaydel Says:

Hi everyone
    I learned that matter takes up space

17. May 28th, 2013 at 12:28 pm      Reply Melanie Says:

Hi Bloggers,

Solids take shape,and sometimes they can be rock hard.

Liquids don’t take shape,liquids like jelly can go in containers,when you put it in the fridge it freezes.

Gases are kinds of air, some gases smell stinky, some smell smokey and some are fogey.

18. May 28th, 2013 at 12:28 pm      Reply Hiep Says:

Dear Everyone,

I have learnt a lot about matter, I learnt that solids are matter that take their own shape, liquids can be wet, sticky and slippery, they take the shape of the container they’re in, volume is how much water there is. Gases can sometimes be invisible, and smell. All of this is matter, they all have different properties and mass.

I’m only assuming that I have seen this when I was in level 3. Note that this involves a solid, water and steam. When steam collides with a solid above it, it turns into water. It probably is cold when it turns into liquid according to my knowledge about rain.

That’s all I have to say now, what do you know about matter?

Do you think my assumption is correct or incorrect?

Hiep

19. May 29th, 2013 at 6:25 pm      Reply Neha Says:

Dear bloggers,
    I am talking about the three states of matter and they are solids liquids and gases. Solids can be anything that hard like a chair, table, door and lots more other things. Liquids can be sticky and wet,liquids can from in to the shape of any container and can form in to anything. Then comes gases , gases can be smelly and not smelly like our sun our sun is made of lots of gases. Theese are all the three states of matter.

from Neha

20. May 31st, 2013 at 10:44 am      Reply Steven Says:

Hello Readers,

I have learnt many things about the ‘States Of Matter’. My favourite think learning about the states of matter probably would be learning about the atoms. For example how the atoms in gases are freely to move around and many others.

Steven

21. May 31st, 2013 at 12:06 pm      Reply Holly Says:

Hi Marie,
    I learnt that water can be shown in the three states of matter we’ve been learning about . It can be shown as ice (solid), water (liquid), and steam (gas).
    From, Holly!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. States Of Matter – Our Challenge | Senior students